The Yunnan International Coffee Exchange (YCE) launched in 2014 with the goal of creating one of the world’s largest coffee exchange centers, with a focus on trading green coffee grown in China and surrounding countries. YCE’s ambitious plans include developing and implementing an electronic trading system, launching extensive farmer support programs, building milling and processing facilities, and implementing quality control and grading systems. The organization is also creating sales and marketing programs and a broad global educational program highlighting coffees grown in China’s Yunnan Province.
A cornerstone of YCE’s plans for the future is building YCE into a global brand representing quality, capability, and strength. The brand’s objective is to create strong demand for fine coffees from Yunnan while promising a sustainable return to coffee growers associated with YCE.
· Enhance and inspire value and sustainability in the Chinese coffee sector and supply chain
· Become the direct link between the Yunnan coffee community and the global coffee industry
· Implement an innovative trading platform for China and Southeast Asia
· Provide a comprehensive agricultural, financial, marketing, and management support service network to Yunnan coffee-growing communities and the surrounding Chinese and Southeast Asia growing regions
· Establish SCA standards for Asian green coffees
· Provide leadership to the Chinese coffee industry through training, education, innovation, and transparency to become a global factor in coffee production and consumption
YCE has made significant progress in its five years of existence. Working closely with the Coffee Quality Institute (CQI), YCE launched a Model Farm program demonstrating efficient, high-quality growing methods for farmers. YCE has also advanced coffee quality in Yunnan by offering the CQI Processing certification courses and opening an SCA-Certified Laboratory and SCA Premier Training Campus. Through its selection as the Portrait Country at the 2018 SCA conference, Chinese coffees are gradually earning a higher global profile. YCE is supporting these advancements with financial support services for coffee farmers and programs that market Yunnan coffees.